Nearly everyone has, at one time or another, heard a thump, gone out to investigate and found a stunned or dead bird beneath a window. Unfortunately, it seems that wherever birds and glass co-exist, collisions will occur.
Have you ever paused to consider the collective impact of all those collisions throughout your neighborhood, city and state? It adds up! Windows in our homes kill hundreds of millions of birds each year.
Did you know?
- For every collision victim you find outside your windows, three more typically go unseen (falling out of sight or carried away by predators).
- Of those you see fly away after a collision, 50% die later as a result of their injuries or because they are easy prey for cats and other predators.
- Find out what you can do with our online tips and links
- Or view/download our brochure: BirdSafe Homes - Making Your Windows Safer for Birds.
- American White Pelican Conservation
- Bottomlands for Birds
- Chimney Swift Conservation
- Golden Eagle Conservation
- Guide to Urban Bird Conservation
- Important Bird Areas
- Mississippi River Flyway
- Policy Issues and Action
- Project BirdSafe